BUILDINGS FOR HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
Buildings for Human Development (BHD) is a non-profit organisation. It was founded in Malaga in 2009 by Marion Regitko and Gordon Haslett (architects) and Mayte Marmol.
Our goals are:
To stimulate human development through the provision of inspiring, uplifting and sustainable buildings.
To provide free professional expertise and services to local non-profit organisations that are active in the fields of education, gender equality, health, culture, children rights, social cohesion and employment.
To create buildings that will improve the lives and livelihoods of their occupants, and empower local non-profit organisations to build a more sustainable future.
To bring professional design, construction and development services to where they are most critically needed.
To create buildings and environments that can make people feel human when they are at their most vulnerable.
To develop sustainable buildings that are based on the efficient use of resources and the reduction of their impact on the environment.
To reach these goals we undertake the following activities:
We identify and contact local initiatives who are dedicated to improving human development and who are in desperate need of a building to carry out their work.
We offer free professional architectural services to non-profit organisations including:
- Needs assessment and site analysis.
- Liaison and negotiation with officials.
- Establishment of the design brief.
- Oversee selection of local firms (architects, builders etc.) to develop and realise the building.
- Supervision of the design and construction of the building.
- Contract documents and tender process.
- Local Labour and skills training, professional advise about sustainable building design.
- Risk and liability management.
- Post-occupancy analysis.
Fund raising to finance the realisation of the building, through commercial sponsorship, fund raising events etc.